Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

The Design Process: Introduction

The_OBJECTIVE:
To be a designer that keeps focus on where the idea/creation/project is going and making the necessary stop and think if it is going smoothly or correctly.

There are a few key points to remember when being a designer and in the works, they primarily work with solving problems by developing and able to explain the ideas as well while it is evolving through a creative process. According to Aspelund, the design process has seven basic stages that are followed: inspiration,identification, conceptualization, exploration/refinement, definition/modeling, communication, and production, which will help the creative process of any designer in a helpful manner.

Design is everywhere. No matter where you look. At least that is what I think. Life is art to me. What you see and what you could dissect information from? Except maybe for things you can not explain, such as natural things that have it's own process to creation. But honestly, what is Design? O.o

My dictionary on my MacBook Pro states:

design |dəˈzīn|noun1 a plan or drawing produced to show the look and function or workings of a building, garment, or other object before it is built or made : he has just unveiled his design for the new museum.• the art or action of conceiving of and producing such a plan or drawing : good design can help the reader understand complicated information | the cloister is of late twelfth century design.• an arrangement of lines or shapes created to form a pattern or decoration : pottery with a lovely blue and white design.2 purpose, planning, or intention that exists or is thought to exist behind an action, fact, or material object : the appearance of design in the universe.verb [ trans. ]decide upon the look and functioning of (a building, garment, or other object), typically by making a detailed drawing of it : a number of architectural students were designing a factory | [as adj.with submodifier ] ( designed) specially designed buildings.• (often be designed) do or plan (something) with a specific purpose or intention in mind : [ trans. ] the tax changes were designed to stimulate economic growth.
What is design to me? I honestly think design is something you see and something one could create if they put their mind to it. Imagination and Creation. The endless possibilities to make something new and exciting as well as improving it, where it can be practical as well. Though with all of that it also defines to me where a sense of time and effort put into it as well to make a design possible. Lots of work I might have to add into the word design.
I thought it was funny and how true it is when comparing a relationship to the design process. Inspiration to the idea taken a hold of you. A new relationship is exciting, it's fun, wonderful, different behaviors come from it, taking risks and of course you are in fact very infatuated. It's just the beginning of everything, and then you realize what has happened and the idea sets in your brain, where you can not take back what has been done, then rules are made and what becomes of it to make the relationship work and commit to it, no matter how tempting it is to change something or making it to the point where it is not balanced. If there is problems, think about how good it was in the beginning and using it to keep things going smoothly. Afterward, you start to discover things you might not like about the person or things you do like, accept them and make them work from there and out. I'm familiar with relationships in general with people so it was quite a humor to me when I had to reflect on the stages to certain periods in my life with my past experiences with a significant other.
As you read further though, it does go in a mini in-depth summary for each stages and I think Aspelund has a good idea on how these stages would be helpful to students such as myself as well as my peers in class, but it's just the beginning of it. Aspelund believes that we ourselves have design in our mind and that we can create our own creative process. I mean I do agree. We all have our own idea and believes and comfort zones in how we do work with things. For example, I seem to work better at night/early morning in the dead hours where no one is awake in my house with music going on in my room, either by music bumping loudly in my headphones or on low volume on speakers in my own room. It's just more comfortable for me and I can get my work done fast and clear on it's own path. But overall, I would think it would be a good idea for me to start a design process book, just so I can get some inspiration and a look back on the things I love to do. It'll be a start, maybe rough, but I'm pretty excited to see what else is in store in the stages alone and what Aspelund has to say.

1 comments:

ZeRiMaRd said...

Hi Jay! :) I definitely agree. I found the relationship comparison very amusing. I think Karl did an amazing job in that sense because it relates to the readers and we can use past experiences and connect them to what he is talking about. Liked how you included the definition of design in your post. Good job.

Post a Comment