Monday, May 16, 2011
ART 220 - DAY 15 - May 16 - Dreams
Today we watched a film on netflix.com on Akira Kurosawa's Dreams which is compromised of cerebral and mind-bending genre and theme to it. There in the movie is a collection of eight enchanting short stories. For the most part, majority surrounds themselves around Japanese folklore. I usually watch a lot of animation made from Japan, so I was able to recognize some of the themes and stories I have heard before, not to mention understand a bit of Japanese. When we started the movie, I instantly remember the fox wedding stories I've heard so much. I was a little curious to what happened to the poor little boy. I wonder if he died or did the foxes forgive him? Who knows...! I'm not very familiar with the peach story but I have seen those dolls that were portrayed in the beginning. It's known that Japanese little girls often have those collection of dolls in their room. As for the Peach Blossoms, I was not too sure on the idea but I do have the idea to the connections of spirits and gods where they get upset at people for doing something wrong. The third story I am pretty familiar with the idea of a dark tunnel. Dark tunnels are usually linked to the spirit world and often sometimes travelers do cross them out of now here and usually a message needs to be told to them or they are suffering from some guilt with death involved, and in this case, he is the commander and had lost his team. The dog however, I am unsure that it is there to take him to his soldiers, so that he could rest with them. The blizzard has got to do with not giving up and continue to try, although we might not know exactly would happen to them, because storms can still be a big problem aside from avalanches. The rest of the stories that were presented were a bit confusing and I was at lost for them because the room got really cold. For the most part of these "dreams" can play a huge imagination factor on what one could or could not do. In your dreams, I believe that stories that one that comes up with, come in life in dreams, versus reality where there are boundaries we cannot cross. But even dreams all come from an idea and an idea is where most stories start.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I too wonder what happened to the little boy. I didn't pick up the Japanese but some of the themes I understood from watching Asian Dramas.
I had seen the film before so unfortunately my attention was often off the film and on the cold!
I do remember how beautiful the scenery was the fist time I saw it, and how it still is beautiful!
I did pick up the fact many were related to Japanese folklore
Thanks for sharing a little bit about the tunnel :) I found that dream to be very interesting
The first one also made me sad about the little boy, so good thing it was just a dream
I enjoy Japanese films, especially the animated ones by Hayao Miyazaki
Most of the stories I thought were sad stories. Only the last one seemed happy to me. I wonder why that is. Did anyone else notice this?
I also like Hayao Miyazaki! Have you seen Whisper of the Heart? That has got to be one of my favorites! That and NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind and Howl's Moving Castle are maybe my top 3 favorites. But all of the ones I have seen are no doubt great films as well. :)
What kind of Anime do you watch? I mainly keep up with Bleach. I used to keep up with Naruto but I'm just so behind on it lol.
Post a Comment