A. What do we think the class is to teach us?
B. What is expected/learned/known about the class?
Like usual, under the instructions of the professor, students would answer them.
If I recall what I answered to the question was, based on the what the class was to teach, I stated something along the lines of "Generating ideas to create a design for the audience or the viewer."
And for B, it was along the lines of the same idea, "Creating something or getting the experience to do so."
I could be wrong, I honestly do not remember what I wrote, since it is an 8 am class. I did like some of the response that Professor Moss read out from certain individual's cards, whomever they are I give them props for giving such an educated answer for such an early class.
We have concluded that Concept Development is a class where we generate ideas and have general ideas to get to a stand point of the product we are creating. Professor Moss gives us an example about our technology today such as our cellular phones. We did not have cellular phones in the old days since they were all house phones connected to a wall port and had direct lines outside. At first, a student suggested perhaps it was the idea of communication that was the factor that generated the idea to somehow reach the end product of a cellular phone, but the Professor pointed out there would be something more then communication itself. The reason to creating cellular phones today is not due to the idea of communication, but to the idea of mobility since in the old days, we would have to stick nearby a pay phone or for however far the cord would go in our home. Why? Because the problem was how were we able to bring communication outside of the home and be able to move around instead of sticking to one spot for a long time just to communicate with someone. The solution was to create a cellular phone based on the mobility factor as well as convinces on the product itself. Although the process did take awhile to get to the end product seeing how there were such things such as a pager back in the old days as well.
So for concept development, it is based on a critical thinking idea, but I believe that aside from critical thinking, there should be experience and that is what this class should be. Professor Moss wants his students to be involve, to speak their mind, and to interact with each others aside from himself.
He started off with a fun exercise concerning a fruit called a Mandarin orange, in which he had ask us to spend a few minutes observing our little orange friend. Afterwards, he instructed us to face about a partner and describe our orange to them within roughly two minutes. In my honest opinion, I thought the process to observe is much easier compared to throwing our thoughts together, though I feel that I didn't observe enough to gather the proper terms and ideas to talk about my orange though and putting into words to describe the orange we had in our hands to our partner was much harder then I had anticipated.
Now the assignments that came to this class, I believe is going to enhance the students skills. Why? It gives us a change to launch an idea, explore it, research it, and get involved with it (gain hands on). For example, one of our on going projects dealing with our little Mandarin orange friend makes me ponder on how much would it change as well as would it even last ? Aside from those questions that linger in my brain there is also the idea of how many concept ideas of technique and design can be acquired and used into the progress of change of the the drawings, especially since we can use the media only once. It will be a difficult challenge but I think it would be worthwhile to poke fun at our brains for the quarter. It would also be interesting in how much the orange changes itself and how we incorporate the design to the changes. There are also lots of things to considered aside from the design. The fruit itself is a living specimen and it might also pick our brains on questions such as how long and what conditions would be good to consider to keep the orange from decomposing fast or slow. Aside from that, on the funnier note, hopefully all the students have their oranges kept in a safe place, seeing how this assignment also requires it to be kept alive somehow.
Besides the orange, there is also the reading aspect of the class, and it does require us to read and reading will help one learn, because it is a way of getting information and somewhat of a research process, after the readings there will be the blogs as well as the writing response to the readings, so it'll help retain information.
Many of the approaches can cover different styles of learning for each individual students so they can fully train themselves to experience the different ideas and situations they could come up upon in the future and be able to access and deal with it. Concept Development is a class where critical thinking, involvement, interaction, and experience to further develop one's skills as well as make them a better designer.
0 comments:
Post a Comment